Skylight maquette for the 10 foot window.

Skylight maquette for the 10 foot window.
Canticle of the Sun with St. Francis in Contemplation

Saturday, September 12, 2009

Yesterday I worked on some paintings.  I'm concentrating on the Canticle of the Sun, mostly about the sun right now.  See the last post on Brookes' writing on St. Francis and the sun.  Below is a painting about the Canticle and the San Damiano Cross:
Of course, this is only a beginning to the painting. I'll be working on this along with other paintings simultaneously.  As one dries, I can work on another, and as many as I want.  This will form a consistency of present style.  This painting is acrylic on canvas board.  I may work oil over this or others to form a translucency and richness of layering.
Below is also a rough sketch in pencil and watercolor of Our Lady of Hope, as requested by the North American Provinces.  We'll see where this goes.  They say it is not a contest.  We'll see!
This sketch is very rought but focuses on the symbolism that I would like to use in this work.  The sun, moon and stars to represent Our Lady of the Universe.  She is standing on the earth as a protector.  The Tree of Jesse is on the right with the shoot of the tree on the left to represent the incarnation.  She holds at her breast her Immaculate Heart.  This is all hope.  Click on the pictures to see them bigger.

2 comments: